Saturday, December 28, 2013

Top 5 Hits of 2013


Well it is only fair that I balance out my failures of the year with my top 5 hits.  I cheated on a couple of points so there are actually more than 5 makes in here but let's keep that between you and me. So without further adieu here are my top 5 of 2013.

5. Peplum Tops

Peplum tops seem to be every where this year!  I quite like them but sometimes they can sit a bit funny on me and make my torso look really short.  When I found this pattern I thought it would be perfect to give the peplum look without cutting my torso in half.  Luckily I was right!  So far I have made two versions but I would love to make a few more.  The mustard version was made during Me Made May when I was dying for something new to wear.  As soon as I finished making it I started dreaming of a collared version and thus the comic print top was born.  While I love them both equally the comic print top is kind of special.  My sister has a skirt made of this same material and Imogen has a dress/top as well so it is a special material for me.


4. Mini Skirts

I think these three skirts (version 1, version 2, version 3) would have to be my most worn me mades of 2013.  And seeing as they were all made in the past three months that is really saying something.  As I mentioned in my misses post my style since having Imogen has become a lot more relaxed and casual.  Easy to throw together outfits have become my norm so it is no wonder that these are popular items.  I can definitely see more mini skirts being made in my future.  I am thinking a few embellishments are in order though to mix it up a bit!  


3. Boyfriend Cardigan

2013 was the year I finally managed to knit a garment for myself that I actually wear!  I have attempted cardigans and jumpers in the past but they have never turned out right.  This was due to a mix of wrong yarn, patterns that weren't my style and beginner mistakes.  This time I did a bit of research and decided to do something basic that I would get a lot of wear out of in decent yarn.  I am so glad I took that time because it turned out awesome!  The colour is fast becoming a favourite of mine and the basic style makes this super wearable.  I think I may have to make another next winter.  Full post here.


2. Red Lace Dress

My red lace dress was a labour of love! I made it to wear to a friends wedding during Me Made May and it has had many a wear since.  It is perfectly classy but also versatile.  I am really proud of this dress because it was my first time working with lace and I think it turned out great!  I went into it with a no fear approach and full of confidence and it paid off for me.  Usually my cockiness can get me into trouble in my sewing but not this time.  I am sure this dress will be seeing many more wears in the future!


1. Sew Bossy Dress

This dress is by far my most favourite thing that I have made this year! So a massive thank you must be made to the darling Marie who agreed to be my Sew Bossy partner.  She sent me the most amazing package of goodies and this dress would never have been without her.  For more info on this dress check out the full post here.


I am really proud of what I have made this year (misses included!).  At the start of the year I would have never have thought it possible for me to do so much while looking after a new baby.  I became exceptionally good at time management this year and I think my sanity thanks me for it.  Sewing and knitting are the perfect way for me to take some time out and get myself together.  Even if it does take me a little longer to finish projects now I think it just makes me appreciate them even more!

How did your sewing go this year? What is your favourite make of 2013?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you for your comment. I love responding to all comments and do so via email. If you email is not visible in your blogger profile please make sure you leave it in your comment. Kat xx