Monday, September 23, 2013

Getting Ready For Summer

From the moment I spotted this fabric in The Fabric Store in Melbourne I knew it had to be made into a mini skirt.  I was instantly imagining it with a simple white tank and flats for summer.  The Gold Coast has really started to warm up in the past couple of weeks so of course it had to be the first of my frocktails purchases to be sewn up.

geometric print mini skirt jenny burdastyle burda purple blue yellow the fabric store geometric print mini skirt jenny burdastyle burda purple blue yellow the fabric store

I was having trouble finding a skirt pattern to use.  I was looking for something extremely basic and simple but every skirt in my pattern stash had pleats or seams on the front.  The lovely Rachel came to my rescue with the suggestion of the jenny skirt from Burdastyle.  I am so thankful for her help because it turned out perfect.  But here are all the details...

geometric print mini skirt jenny burdastyle burda purple blue yellow the fabric store geometric print mini skirt jenny burdastyle burda purple blue yellow the fabric store

Pattern: Jenny by Burdastyle

Size: I cut a straight 42 which fit perfect straight off the bat

Mods: Most obviously I hacked off a heap of the length.  To do this I measured one of my existing mini skirts and then used this measurement to work out where to cut my pattern.  I also removed the waistband.  My original plan was to replace it with a facing, however, somewhere along the line I decided not to do this and instead I just lined it in a thin white cotton poplin from my stash.  The last thing I wanted to do was make the back of the skirt a bit more smooth so I moved the zipper to the side seam and cut the back in one piece.  All in all they were pretty simple mods to incorporate.

geometric print mini skirt jenny burdastyle burda purple blue yellow the fabric store geometric print mini skirt jenny burdastyle burda purple blue yellow the fabric store

I am so so so happy with this pattern!  I had heard some interesting things about burdastyle patterns so I was a bit wary but this one was perfect.  The size I chose fit me perfectly straight off the bat.  Needless to say I am pretty stoked with how this skirt turned out.  I am thinking it will be getting a lot of wear this summer!  My practice version is actually sitting in my sewing room waiting to be finished because I fell in love with this pattern so much.  I think there may even be a proper jenny that needs to be made soon for work.  The options for this pattern are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you for your comment. I love responding to all comments and do so via email. If you email is not visible in your blogger profile please make sure you leave it in your comment. Kat xx