Thursday, March 7, 2013

Healthy Banana Muffins

One of the main things I have been doing since having Imogen to lose weight is cut down on my sugar intake.  I am a massive sweet tooth and when I was pregnant I basically went on a free for all.  After having her it was hard to get out of that habit so while I was eating really well everywhere else I was still sneaking in the sugar.  Cutting out sugar has been hard and I have been massively craving sugar!  After I took my diet break last weekend I had a real hard time getting back into it because I just wanted cake.  So when I came across this recipe on pinterested I thought I would give it a go in hope it would satisfy my urge for cake.

Healthy Banana Muffins

I whipped these up yesterday and they literally took 10 minutes (plus baking time).  You do everything in a food processor so there is minimal clean up as well.  These muffins are both flour and sugar free so they would be great for breakfast on the go or to pop in lunch boxes.  I had one for afternoon tea yesterday with some greek yogurt and cinnamon and it was delicious.

Healthy Banana Muffins

When I told my mum I was going to make them she suggested making them with apple puree instead of banana for a different flavour.  Next time I make some apples for Imogen I am going to pop a few extra in and give it a go.  I think apple would be delicious too!

Healthy Banana Muffins by Fit & Healthy with Debbie 

2.5 cups old fashioned oats 
1 cup plain low fat greek yogurt
2 eggs
1/2 cup honey *I only used 1/4 as that is all I had left and they are still sweet enough*
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp ground flax seed
1 tsp vanilla
2 ripe bananas 



1. Preheat oven to 180*C. Spray tin with non-stick cooking spray or line 12 muffin tins with silicone or foil liners.


2. Place the oats in the food processor and pulse for about 10 seconds.  Add remaining ingredients to the food processor. 

3. Process until everything is mixed together and oats are smooth.  *At this point I added some walnuts into the food processor and gave them a quick blitz*

4. Divide batter among cupcake liners, and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

5 comments:

  1. Yum Kat, these look delicious! Another ingredient that I find helps with sweet cravings is 'date paste.' It's basically dates which are soaked (to be softened) and then blitzed in the food processor. You can add it like a condiment or sugar or just eat it on a spoon. In fact I think that a bit of date paste on these muffins would be deeeelicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! We haven't had banana muffins in awhile, I should make some

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, they look delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, this sounds delicious. I'll have to try this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sound yummy and too easy!! Best of all from what I see they are Gluten free and I need delicious GF recipes too try for my husband who has celiac :)
    thanks for sharing babe, enjoy! xx

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for your comment. I love responding to all comments and do so via email. If you email is not visible in your blogger profile please make sure you leave it in your comment. Kat xx