Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Valentines Week - Cross Stitch Necklace


After my recent foray into cross stitching I have been on the lookout for more cross stitch projects to do.  When I spotted these buttons in Spotlight a few weeks ago I knew they would be the perfect alternative to cross stitch pendants which are also in Spotlight but much more expensive.

Cross Stitch Heart Necklace

These are so simple to make!  All you need is a cross stich pendant, some embroidery thread, a needle, a small pair of pliers, a necklace chain, necklace clasp and a couple of jump rings. 

Cross Stitch Heart Necklace

Decide what pattern you would like to cross stich onto your pendant.  I chose a simple heart for Valentine’s Day but you could do anything you like.  A quick google search will come up with heaps of patterns that you can use.  Once you have chosen a pattern cross stitch this onto your pendant.  As the holes in my pendant are quite large I used 6 strands of thread and a yarn needle but you will need to choose materials based on your pendant size.

Cross Stitch Heart Necklace

Using your small pliers attach a jump ring to your pendant.  Attach another jump ring to one end of your necklace chain and a clasp to the opposite end of the chain.  Thread your necklace chain through the pendant jump ring and ta-da you have a finished necklace.  Quick, easy and super cute!  Another option would be to glue a brooch clasp onto the back of your pendant and wear it as a brooch instead.  I of course am greedy so decided I needed one of each!

Cross Stitch Heart Necklace

If you are having trouble finding cross stitch pendants in your local craft stores I did a quick search on etsy and quite a few came up in both Australia and overseas.  But if you can find these buttons at your local Spotlight snap them up because they were only like $1 each.  You will just need a drill to make a quick hole in the top for your jump ring. So go, get crafty and if you make a necklace or brooch be sure to let me know in the comments so I can check it out.

3 comments:

  1. These are really cute. You've made me want to learn cross stitch so I can make one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. going to spotlight tomorrow!!!! haha

    Wow I love these so much, they look wonderful. Thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the sweetest necklace ever! And such a fast and gratifying project! Thanks for the inspiration Kat! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for your comment. I love responding to all comments and do so via email. If you email is not visible in your blogger profile please make sure you leave it in your comment. Kat xx